CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Platform Technical Task Group (PTTG)
Please see the Terms of Reference for the task group.
The purpose of the Platform Technical Task Group (PTTG) is to evaluate and make recommendations on the development of the Canadiana access and preservation platforms (TDR).
The Platform Technical Task Group (PTTG) will:
- act as a resource with regard to the implementation of metadata best practices on the platform and extending the assets of Canadiana content for end users and researchers.
- support the Canadiana technical team in meeting the requirements outlined in the TDR documentation and providing guidance on how to extend the TDR to support member and community needs.
- assist the platform team in preparing a development roadmap
- review progress towards development goals 2-3 times per year and deliver a workplan to the Preservation and Access Committee (PAC) and final recommendations.
The PAC invites nominations from the CRKN membership to fill eight (8) positions on the Platform Technical Task Group:
- One (1) current member of the PAC as Chair
- One (1) member, appointed by the University of Toronto Library, with experience with Scholars Portal
- Up to four (4) individuals drawn from CRKN’s member institutions (including BAnQ, LAC, and TPL) with expertise in metadata, digital preservation or digital standards certification reflecting, when possible, regional diversity and the diversity of CRKN membership (small, medium, and large institutions)
- Up to two (2) individual(s) drawn from CRKN's stakeholder community with expertise in digital preservation.
The Lead Systems Engineer and Lead Application Developer will serve as ex-officio members of the task group. The task group will be supported by a CRKN staff member as designated by the Executive Director and at her discretion, in consultation with the Chair, other CRKN staff may be called upon to participate in meetings as resource personnel, as required.
Nominees will be drawn from across Canada, including (but not limited to) CRKN’s member institutions. Candidates will be chosen based on relevant experience and perspective with the intent of forming a representative breadth of participation. It is expected that the group will ordinarily meet 5-6 times per year via teleconference, with at least one in-person meeting in Ottawa. A rough estimation of the time commitment required for serving on the group can be calculated as follows:
5 teleconferences * 2 hours = 10 hours
1 in-person * 8 hours = 8 hours
1 hour prep-time per meeting = 6 hours
Individual work outside of meetings (4 hours * 12 months) = 48 hours
Total Annual Commitment: 72 hours
The PTTG is accountable to the PAC. The Chair of the PTTG will provide regular reports on the activities of the task group to the PAC, and submit written recommendations as required for the PAC’s consideration.
The first meeting of the PTTG is expected to be held in January 2019.
Individuals may choose to self-nominate or to nominate another individual provided all pertinent details are provided as described below. Completed nomination forms should be sent to CRKN c/o Nazia Bundhoo (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than December 20, 2018, and including all of the following information:
- Contact information for the nominee;
- An indication of their willingness to serve;
- Brief biographical details and relevant work experience to illustrate expertise in and enthusiasm for the work of the committee;
- Assurance that this workload and time commitment meets with approval from their immediate supervisor.