The DataCite Canada Consortium, managed by CRKN and the New Digital Research Infrastructure Organization (NDRIO) Portage, is a collective of organizations and institutions minting DOIs in Canada through DataCite.
DataCite is a global non-profit organization dedicated to making data and scholarly content more accessible and citable. DataCite’s core activity is providing DOI and metadata registration. DOIs are persistent identifiers for digital objects which are widely used for identifying published content, datasets, and other scholarly research outputs. There are over 500,000 DOIs minted in Canada with DataCite and over 100,000 DOIs in Canada were minted in 2019.
The DataCite Canada Consortium ensures that Canadian institutions who have integrated DataCite as part of their infrastructure are sustainably supported. Additionally, consortium members benefit from:
- The ability to mint DOIs either via the web-based Fabrica system or through the API using existing systems
- Preferential pricing compared with direct membership
- A dedicated support team for all administrative, financial, and technical needs
- A committed Canadian community of practice
- A consortium governance structure that delivers on the strategic integration of DOIs and other persistent identifiers in the Canadian scholarly communications infrastructure
- A global data-sharing community and the opportunity to collaborate with a leading-edge network of data research experts
As part of the DataCite Canada Consortium, CRKN provides administration, licensing, and finance services, including all invoicing to DataCite Canada Consortium members. NDDRIO Portage provides community engagement and outreach, best practices guidance, and technical support.
Membership to the new DataCite Canada Consortium is open to all Canadian institutions of higher education, non-profit organizations, and government research and funding agencies.
A DataCite Canada Consortium Governing Committee is currently in development.
For more information on joining the DataCite Canada Consortium or support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.