Reporting to the CRKN Board of Directors, the Preservation and Access Committee (PAC) assists the Board in its activities by reviewing and making recommendations regarding the development and management of the Canadiana and Trustworthy Digital Repository (TDR) platform and the associated services and capabilities.
The Preservation and Access Committee is established by the Board of Directors as a Standing Committee of the Board, pursuant to section 12 of the Corporations’ by-Laws.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Preservation and Access Committee (PAC)
ACTION REQUIRED: Nominations to be submitted by May 14, 2018
Please see attached Terms of Reference for the task group.
The Board of Directors invites nominations from the CRKN membership to fill five (5) positions on the Preservation and Access Committee:
- Four (4) librarians and/or archivists who collectively possess experience in each of the following areas:
- Digital preservation standards and practices
- Library metadata standards and practices
- Archival metadata standards and practices
- Digital asset management systems and/or institutional repositories
- One (1) scholar or researcher with digital humanities research and/or data mining experience
A separate call for nominations is being undertaken for the Chair of the Preservation and Access Committee, which will be an elected position to the CRKN Board.
In addition, one (1) librarian or archivist will be appointed by the Board of Directors at the recommendation of the Executive Committee as Vice-Chair
*CRKN will provide one or several staff to support the Preservation and Access Committee under the direction of the Executive Director
Nominees will be drawn from across Canada, including (but not limited to) CRKN’s member institutions. Candidates will be chosen based on relevant experience and perspective with the intent of forming a representative breadth of participation. It is expected that the group will ordinarily meet 5-6 times per year via teleconference, and 2-3 times per year in person, with at least one in-person meeting in Ottawa in the near term. A rough estimation of the time commitment required for serving on the group can be calculated as follows:
|5 teleconferences * 2 hours =||10 hours|
|2 in-person * 8 hours =||16 hours|
|1 hour prep-time per meeting =||7 hours|
|Individual work outside of meetings (4 hours * 12 months) =||48 hours|
|Total Annual Commitment||72 hours|
The Preservation and Access Committee is accountable to the CRKN Board of Directors, and reports on its activities through the PAC Chair. The first meeting of the Preservation and Access Committee is expected to be held in June 2018.
Individuals may choose to self-nominate or to nominate another individual provided all pertinent details are provided as described below. Completed nomination forms should be sent to CRKN c/o Nazia Bundhoo (email@example.com) no later than Monday, May 14, 2018, and including all of the following information:
- Contact information for the nominee;
- An indication of their willingness to serve;
- Brief biographical details and relevant work experience to illustrate expertise in and enthusiasm for the work of the committee;
- Assurance that this workload and time commitment meets with approval from their immediate supervisor.